Trek Booking Conditions
The following items are included in the price of the trek:
• Specialist Australian Expedition Leader as your battlefield/historical guide (for Australian led treks)
• Public Liability Insurance protection (A$10 million with Lloyds of London)
• International economy class return ticket to Port Moresby (for bookings ex-Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane or Sydney)
• Private charter flight between Port Moresby and Kokoda
• Experienced Koiari Trek Leader and local guide/carrier team
• All vehicle transfers in PNG
• Pre and post-trek twin-share hotel accommodation and meals in PNG
• Official Kokoda Track Authority Trek Permit
• All trek and village campsite fees
• 24/7 contact with our rear link in Port Moresby
• Trek on the original wartime trail
• Detailed battlefield briefings at each location
• Dawn Service at Isurava Memorial
• Village 'sing-sing' from the families of our Koiari and Orokaiva trek guides
• Personal mosquito proof tent for each trekker (carried, erected and dismantled by our trek guides each day)
• Fresh meals on the trail (hygienically prepared, cooked and served by our PNG Boss Cook)
• Group First Aid Kit with trained and experienced first aid support
• Emergency Communications – satellite phone, two UHF Radios, 24-hour rear link to Port Moresby
• All group trekking gear – safety ropes, machetes, shovels, tarpaulins, etc
• Visit to Bomana War Cemetery including detailed briefing
• 1:50 000 Topographic Map of the Kokoda Trail
• Adventure Kokoda polo shirt
• Kokoda Certificate of Achievement
• Backpack 75L included when you engage a Personal Carrier
• Paddy Pallin 15% discount on trekking clothing and equipment
The following items are not included in the price of the trek:
• Travel Insurance – click on link here Cover-More Travel Insurance
• Anti-malarial medication as prescribed by your doctor
• Personal clothing and equipment (see recommended checklist here)
• Personal and First Aid items (see recommended checklist here)
• Personal Carrier (see more here)
If you are arranging your own air travel you must ensure you are able to transfer air tickets to another date should your trek be cancelled or postponed for any reason as we do not confirm our treks until 60 days prior to the start date. Adventure Kokoda will not be responsible for any loss due to air tickets that are not transferable to another date.
When arranging your own air travel you must plan to arrive Port Moresby no later than 2.30pm on day one of your trip. If this is not possible due to domestic air travel connections, you will need to arrive the day prior and meet the cost of overnight accommodation for that day. Adventure Kokoda can assist arranging your additional stay at Sogeri Lodge, including airport transfers if required, otherwise if you arrange your own accommodation in Port Moresby, we suggest that you arrange your airport transfers with the hotel.
On the last day of your trip you will be transferred to the airport to by approximately 10:30am.
You will require a current passport valid for six months from your arrival date into Papua New Guinea.
You can obtain a Visa on arrival in Port Moresby free of charge. You will only be required to show your Passport which must have six months validity from your arrival date.
Obtaining your Visa on arrival is a good option as it minimises the risk of losing your Passport in the mail between your home and the PNG Consulate in Sydney. If you wish to obtain a visa before you arrive to Papua New Guinea, you can download an Application for Entry Permit to PNG here.
You will be required to enclose the following with your PNG Application for Entry Permit:
1. Your passport
2. A passport photo;
3. Your flight details to and from PNG; and
4. a stamped self-addressed envelope
Your completed application should be forwarded with the above enclosures in a stamped self-addressed envelope by Registered or Express Post to:
PO Box 327
Mascot NSW 1460
Suite G.04 / 247 Coward Street
Mascot NSW 2020
Tel: (02) 9283 9020 / 9283 2070 Fax: (02) 9283 5424 email@example.com
Do not send your application until you have received your flight reservation details which will be available 60 days prior to your trek as they will require that information. Please advise them that you are trekking with Adventure Kokoda.
There is no fee payable for the visa but please make sure your paperwork is complete, that you enclose a stamped self-addressed envelope and send it by Registered or Express Post.
For countries other than Australia refer to the Visa On Arrival (VOA) Eligible Country list here.
It is mandatory for trekkers to have a travel insurance policy that provides for evacuation by helicopter from the trail to Port Moresby and onto Australia if necessary. The policy must also cover medical and hospital treatment in Papua New Guinea and Australia; loss of baggage and rescheduling of travel plans if necessary.
Some credit card companies include travel insurance but their policies do not allow for emergency evacuation by helicopter. Trekkers who rely on their credit cards should check the conditions of the policy and take out additional cover for evacuation by helicopter if it is not provided for in their policy.
Now that you have paid your deposit we strongly recommend you obtain a travel insurance policy immediately to provide protection in the event that you are unable to join the trek due to certain conditions. You can obtain your travel insurance policy by clicking here.
Emergency Evacuation Costs and Claims
Helicopter companies in PNG will not start their engines unless they have a Guarantee of Payment (GOP) from your travel insurance company. Travel insurance companies usually require approval from their Australian head office before they will provide the necessary guarantee. This process can result in a delay of up to 24 hours between the time an emergency call is made via satellite phone from the trail and the arrival of the helicopter due to unpredictable weather conditions which may prevent a helicopter from flying to the site of the evacuation.
Cover-More Insurance has accepted the fact that Adventure Kokoda only engages professional expedition leaders who are able to determine the difference between an emergency evacuation and an evacuation. They therefore respond immediately to our calls and have never failed us.
As a result of the relationship we have developed over the past 26 years we have been approved as an agent for Cover-More and can therefore provide a policy to cover your trek.
If you have a policy with a travel insurance company other than Cover-More, or you have agreed to pay an excess, you will be required to provide a bank authorisation with our PNG Logistics provider (Sogeri Enterprises Pty Limited) on arrival in PNG to ensure you will be evacuated as quickly as possible in the event of an emergency. This will allow Sogeri Enterprises to process your payment with the relevant PNG helicopter company immediately.
You will also be required to pay for any additional transport, accommodation, and meal costs prior to your departure from Port Moresby and claim these costs against your policy after you return to Australia.
If you do not wish to provide bank authorisation against your credit card you will have to accept that any request for emergency evacuation could be delayed for up to 24 hours whilst we seek authorisation from your travel insurance company in Australia.
We require details of your Travel Insurance four (4) weeks before departure. Details to include your Travel Insurance provider, policy number and 24-hour emergency phone number. Email the information to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Public Liability Insurance
Adventure Kokoda has secured public liability protection for treks conducted across the Kokoda Trail. The limit of each claim is A$10 million. The cost of this insurance protection is included in the price of each trek.
A non-refundable deposit of $500 per person is payable on confirmation of booking. Final payment is due 60 days prior to departure.
Cancellation Notice and Charges
Cancellation of confirmed bookings is to be in writing. The following penalties will apply:
• 60 – 30 days prior to departure. Loss of 50% of balance of trek payment
• Less than 30 days. Loss of 100% of balance of trek payment.
Credit Card Charges
A surcharge is applicable on all payments made by credit card. This varies according to the normal rate charged by Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Diners, etc.
PNG has been referred to as ‘the land of the unexpected’. It is a developing nation and as such we cannot accept responsibility for accident, loss, injury, disappointment, delay or irregularity in flight accommodation, transportation and other services provided on your trip.
Application for any refunds due to any of these unforeseen circumstances must be made in writing. Any claim must be limited to the cost of the service. Adventure Kokoda does not accept liability for any additional costs for airline or transportation delays.
Trek Itinerary Variations
Adventure Kokoda reserves the right to make any variations to the trek itinerary in the event of unforeseen circumstances. You will receive a detailed itinerary for our trek 14 days prior to your departure.
Adventure Kokoda treks are based on a minimum of 10 trekkers. Adventure Kokoda reserves the right to cancel or postpone a trek if there are insufficient bookings received for a scheduled trek at least 60 days prior to the commencement of the trek. If you are unable to transfer to another trek a full refund will be provided back to you.